Tami- Ladies and Gentlemen! I'm so excited to announce that I accomplished one of my dreams. Now those of you that know me really well; know that I have always wanted to ride a motorcycle; more specifically a nice street bike. Well this weekend I did! My father and I went out to give James' motorcycle a good run. My father rode James' bike and I rode his new 2008 Honda Rebel. That's right a Honda Rebel, isn't it beautiful?
I have to admit that I was nervous at first. It is so beautiful and I was nervous that I might fall and scratch it up, but not anymore. It purrs like a kitten and rides so smooth. Wow!! I have to say that none of this would have been possible if my dear husband hadn't first shown me how to ride. He pushed me to keep going even when I would fall and lose my confidence. I also have to give my father credit. While James was away, he continued to work with me and take me out riding. Thank you Nue Nue! Thank you Dad!
I was in SLC last weekend and like many people, I saw SNOW! Winter is around the corner the folks. I'm actually kind of excited to start wearing sweaters, long-sleeved shirts, drink hot chocolate, but then I remember that it has to get cold too and that I'm not excited about. Luckily, the weather is still fabulous here in southern Utah. Take care everyone and good luck preparing for winter.
James - Things have been hectic. We went through a platoon reorganization and everything is different. In a platoon there are usually four, nine man squads. Each squad has a squad leader, and two, four man teams. With the change, we still have four squads, but now there is just one team per squad. That cut out mine and some others job as a team leaders. The new team leader spots went to those who have had more experience like a previous deployment.
I miss my team leader spot, but I can see the point behind the change. We are really undermanned. Each squad is actually short a whole team for the most part. We came over here short on guys and we've been sending guys home on mid-tour leave. It is taking them over a month and a half to get back here. With more guys going home soon it could get worse before it gets better.
We've had to slow down the number of patrols we do, as well as how many people can go. Guard is still six hours on and six hours off. It is a rough schedule, and the most sleep we are ever able to get at one time is four hours, if we are lucky. If you want to take the time to do 'optional' things like eat, use the latrine, shower, or call home then it can really cut into your sleep time.
My biggest pet peeve is food. The Army has a rule that leaders eat after their soldiers. The rule was followed back at Fort Hood. Here, where it really matters, it doesn't. We are on guard so much that a soldier could be working, or sleeping during every meal.
The other morning I watched from my tower as my new squad leader took a plate into his living area. Three hours later when I got off guard I visited the latrine (it wasn't an option anymore) and I went to get breakfast, only to find out that lunch was already out. Ham sandwiches for about the 90th day in a row.
Last night my team leader, CPL Wright, got an hour off guard early. He knows what it's like for us so he went and brought us chow. I can't explain how something that small made my life seem 100% better. Just after dinner was over and the dogs were eating my chicken bones I got news that our communication ban was lifted. That made life another 300% better. It had been a week since I was able to email or talk to Tami.
Now I know what you are thinking. You have been told, just like I was, that you don't feed dogs chicken bones because they will choke on them. Maybe dogs back home will, but I learned that in third world countries like Jamaica and Afghanistan, dogs don't have any trouble eating chicken bones. The dog tonight bit the ribcage in half and ate about everything in two bites. The bones went down as smooth as the ice cream I'm missing. Better the dogs eat my chicken bones instead of the monkeys.
Oh yes, wild monkeys. They go through all of our trash. Those grubby little human shaped hands and faces. They make the strangest sounds in the middle of the night. We had a tame monkey for a while before we had to get rid of him. They are pretty small, but it's funny to watch them tease the dogs, and they chase off the local kids.
You don't even want to hear about the sheep that the dogs were eating alive when it ran into our base.
With my platoon reorganization I left weapons squad and came to first squad. I've been assigned to the SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon). It's a light machine gun and all my gear actually weighs less than it did when I was just carrying ammo for weapon squad's bigger machine gun. Tami has sent me her camera so I'll try to send pictures soon.
I've got a lot more grips and complaints (what soldier doesn't?), but I'll end here. I still don't have it that bad compared to what others have gone through in previous wars. Some guys in WWII spent close to four years away from home in Africa, Sicily, Italy, England, on to the French coast on D-Day, and Germany to the end of the war (That's the Big Red One!). I can't imagine what it was like for my father in the jungles of Vietnam. I'm able to shower and email home just about every day. Thank you Dad.
One day some new PVT Gomer Pile will complain about missing a few hours of sleep. I'll just smile to myself and laugh. He has no idea what lies ahead. Be thankful for what you have. It can always be worse.
3 comments:
So good to hear from both of you. Guard sounds like it sucks big time! I hope that things will slow down a little after the holidays and you can get a nice break when you come home on your leave. You can do lots of time on the bikes now that Tami is so brave!
Wild monkey's sound very interesting. Until they steal your stuff I suppose. Keep the updates coming! I'm glad you didn't share all the gory details of the sheep...I have a vivid enough imagination...Love, Jenny
AWESOME TAMMY!!!! I'm glad you're out riding and enjoying yourself even while James is away.
James! Good to hear from you. Sounds like it's easy to appreciate the little things with such difficult circumstances. I miss you man. Wanted you to know I'm single again. But all is ok. Work is good. I'm joining a different doctor. He's a more trustworthy and loyal type.
Anyway. I'm glad to hear from both of you. Will have a blog up soon.
Love OG
Tami, if you're ever out riding and would like some company you're more than welcome to come get me! I'll even pick up the hot chocolate bill =) I've wanted a motorcycle since before I could drive. Someday....
-Juli
Post a Comment